I’ve been to a few different indoor gyms now and I’ve noticed habits that seem to be universal in the climbing world. It’s funny because they’re pretty odd quirks when you think about it, but I’m not sure you would notice them after a long time in the community. As a newbie I have noticed, observed and acknowledged these traits, and in the process realised that I have also started to do some of them!
(Not 2 or 3. Just to be clear.)
Weird Things Climbers Do
1. Looking at their hands when they fall off a route/problem, as if their hands magically teleported them to the floor without the climbers consent.
2. Climbing shirtless to try harder, not because it’s too hot. Is it a psychological thing? Maybe the t-shirt is too heavy? Who knows. So far it’s only guys I’ve seen doing this, but it still confuses me when I imagine applying this to an everyday life situation…
3. Getting undressed in the middle of a climbing gym whilst holding a conversation. Like it’s normal to strip in a public place and have a natter about the weather. (Also mainly male climbers, sorry guys!)
4. Constantly chalking hands when talking, looking at route/problem, watching others climb, deciding what to climb. This is a contagious habit!
5. Refusing to hold everyday objects like a normal person. Got to open hand the shopping bag and gaston that sliding door.
6. Comparing holes in finger tips and calluses on palms. Gross, but I guess it’s kind of a rite of passage when you get your first callus.
7. Plotting a route on anything, anywhere. A clothing fixture in a shop, a large vehicle in a car park, the neighbour’s dog.
8. Groping everyday objects that they think would make a good hold e.g credit cards, vases, light switches. Then also voicing the discovery of it excitedly in public.
Some of these habits and scenarios I have witnessed first hand, as my partner and most of my close friends are climbers. I don’t mind though as I seem to be picking up some of these habits too. (Again not 2 or 3. Ever.)
Climbers are a weird but wonderful bunch, and I’m happy to be part of the community!
Do you have any of these habits? Please say yes.
– A Girl Who Climbs
13/08/2015 at 04:18
All these habits applied to me (except for the male ones lol). While off the wall I’m CONSTANTLY chalking up, even if I’m not about to climb.
LikeLiked by 1 person
13/08/2015 at 10:29
Haha, I know it’s like second nature to rummage in the chalk bag
LikeLiked by 1 person